I use this New York Strip Roast recipe on all beef roasts and the result is always excellent. There are two reasons why this recipe is so great. First of all, the low/slow method of cooking makes the roast so unbelievable tender and the salty herb crust make it taste amazing. Second, use the time in the cooler as an adjustable buffer which will make it easier to finish the roast at the right time when your guests arrive. Any time between 1 and 2 hours in the cooler have worked for me. You know when you take the roast from cooler to oven, that there is roughly 50 minutes to carving time.
Slow Cooked New York Strip Roast Ingredients
About 12 servings
- 7 lbs New York Strip Roast
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 6 tsb fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tsb fresh rosemary leaves
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tsb salt
- 2 tsb ground black pepper
New York Strip Roast Cooking Directions
On the day before:
1. Combine garlic cloves, thyme, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper in food processor. Process to a thick paste.
2. Trim fat off roast to about 1/4″ thickness, pat dry, and cover in paste on all sides.
3. Wrap tight in cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4. Remove roast from fridge at least 3 hours before cooking time.
5. Preheat oven to 225F. (Do not use convection)
6. Unwrap roast and insert thermometer probe in center of meat.
7. Cook roast in oven until thermometer reads 120F – final result will medium rare. (about 22 minutes per pound)
8. Preheat a small cooler with hot water.
9. Remove roast from oven and wrap first in aluminum foil and then a towel.(Keep probe in meat)
10. Drain water from cooler and place roast in cooler for 1-2 hours. Temperature will raise about 5-7F
11. Preheat oven to 250F. Use convection if available. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
12. Remove roast, raise temperature to 500F, replace roast in oven and roast for additional 10 minutes.
13. The roast is now ready to cut. There is no need for resting time.